Wednesday, October 16, 2024

OMM2024 - Night 14: The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)

One movie at a time! This is one that was on my Netflix watch later before I cancelled that service. Finally time to watch it! #OctoberMovieMarathon

Night 14
The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014)
9/10
Deborah is suffering from Alzheimer's disease, and on the urging of her daughter, allows a film crew to document her condition.
 
Okay, woo, uh wow, this one got to me. The opening premise is already an emotional bomb, as we see Deborah dealing with losing her independence and mind from Alzheimer's and her adult daughter coming to grips with trying to help her ailing mother. That premise alone could make for a dramatic film. But as the movie goes on, it gets creepier and creepier and I was blindsided by all the twists and turns. Seriously, I had no clue where this movie was going- but in the best possible way. You think you know what tropes you'll be seeing- but you'll never guess what's going to happen next.

I highly suggest this one. If it weren't for a few technical things that brought me out of it (it's a found footage, but there's some parts that feel a little... forced) this would get a perfect score. But as it stands- 9/10 is fantastic. I actually like this movie the best out of everything I've seen this year. Absolutely terrifying. I was literally hiding under a blanket at one point. To be honest, I feel like how horror movies felt as a kid- and I need to go watch Winnie the Pooh to clear my head because otherwise this is gonna stick with me. (That was my tactic as a kid and it's never let me down).
 
Love it. Horrifying. If you're at all interested- please PLEASE watch it before reading the spoilers. This one deserves you going in blind.
 
SPOILERS BELOW THE POSTER!




SPOILERS BEGIN HERE!
 
The best part about this movie is you don't know where it's headed. We start off with a documentary feel, with some classic not-all-above-board filmmakers who seem to be more interested in getting a good story than giving the family the dignity and support they need. Then, we slip into a haunted house vibe. Watching the dark corners and backgrounds of the shots to see what that flash was. We even get cameras set up in the house- to perfectly prime us for seeing spooky ghostly activity.

But then, we switch AGAIN! Maybe it is just a tragic case of a woman losing her mind, as we get some fleeting (but gruesome) attacks. The physicality of Jill Larson (who plays the titular Deborah) is fantastic. I was legitimately worried for this frail woman and couldn't figure out if she was under attack or causing something.

Things change again when we shift to a cold-case from the town's past, then a shift to demonic possession. By coincidence- this movie also featured an anthropologist who had studied the cultural phenomenon of "possession" just like in last night's movie, The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

I don't even want to tell you the next shifts because it's just such a jarring change of pace. But I mean that in the best way possible. You feel like the characters in the movie, just grabbing on to the next idea- hoping this one will reveal the way out- the way through. This was the part that had the few technical issues however. I think there were moments where they wanted one character to go first, but they had to just... get the camera in order for us to see what they see? But huge props- because this didn't happen until literally the very end of the movie, and only for a short bit before the camera goes back to someone you'd expect to have it. I also appreciate that the camera has a light on it- which explains why it's being used throughout the climax- literally they're using it as a flashlight.

Speaking of the climax... *shudders* the effects are especially good and so freaky. It's probably CGI- but it meshes so well with everything else onscreen that it's haunting. I'm 100% serious on needing to watch something lighthearted and colorful to get that visual out of my head. I can't say it will hit everyone the same way as it does me- but it's such an effective scare. (and I'm not even scared of snakes)

This was a top tier entry for the movie marathon. And a fantastic "found footage" movie. Highly recommend it, and I've gotta see if the director has made any other films. I want more of this quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment