Tuesday, October 8, 2024

OMM2024 - Night 6: Antrum (2018)

 Night 6! A double feature today for #OctoberMovieMarathon (maybe a triple feature even... we'll see!)

Antrum (2018)
7/10
A cursed, lost movie from the 70s, about a brother and sister venturing into the woods to save their dog's soul by digging a hole into Hell, has been found. It is the world's deadliest film.
 
I had heard of this one- a different kind of found footage flick, one where the "found footage" is literally a movie made in the past, lost media style. I did not expect the movie-within-a-movie to actually be scary. I honestly think the story is really scary- it got really freaky at the end. The opening/closing narration was a bit hit or miss though.
 
The child actors were amazing considering they were the whole movie. I'd say it's worth a watch, and knowing less about it is better. If you love watching something and then combing it for clues and lore- you'll really like this. If not, it's still worth a watch.

SPOILERS BELOW THE POSTER!


 

SPOILERS START HERE!

I've recently been looking into more found footage films, and this one has been listed as both a mockumentary and a found footage film. But it's really more of a movie with a mockumentary around it. And, at least for me, the opening and closing narrations/interviews were only kind of interesting. Perhaps if I had gone into it believing the cursed movie I was going to watch was real it might have hit better?

The actual movie itself (the one that is supposedly cursed) was actually a very cool story. I think it was well shot and had lots of tidbits for sharp eyed viewers. It was a bit trippy and I believed the characters. I had been spoiled on the fact that the sister was making everything up- but I did get to enjoy seeing all the little hints they leave to show you this. Oh! And when we first hear the trumpets I literally thought it was like a brass bull thing- and it was! *shudder* a terrible way to go, no thanks.

 It was good! I really can't get over how spooky the film was and how much I really don't care about the added lore for the "cursed movie" aspect. I don't think this film needed that at all. But I do appreciate trying to figure out what is part of the movie and what was "added later". Though the story for the movie is solid enough. Fun, spooky movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment